Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Etsy for the Animals!

The current EtsyBloggers Blog Carnival by StormyDesigns is a choice between the following:

1) Etsy. What made you open a shop on Etsy? What do you like about being a seller on Etsy? What don't you like?
- OR -
2) What item from another sellers shop do you secretly wish you had thought of first?


In the summer of 2007, my mom and I were beading jewelry when we realized that we were making so many bracelets that we would either have to wear them from our wrists to our elbows or we needed to find an outlet to sell some of our creations. A look around my blog shows that I'm a huge animal lover and my mom is too so we quickly decided that we wanted to sell our jewelry and donate the proceeds to animal charities. At the time we didn't know how to go about doing this or where to even begin but a search for animal beads online took me to an Etsy shop for the very first time and after checking it out further we realized Etsy was where we wanted to set up shop. My mom lives in Las Vegas and I live in Oregon so it was difficult coordinating everything at first but we soon figured it out and BeadedTail opened the end of December 2007.
I like selling on Etsy because of the low fees and ease of use. Also, I'm a member of several teams and I really enjoy the support and friendship I get from my team members. The bad points of Etsy include that there are so many sellers that it's easy to get lost in their search features so advertising outside of Etsy is extremely important.
After a little over a year on Etsy, we have sold 40 items and donated over $450 to charity! We hope 2009 is an even better year and we both have plans of learning new things so look forward to our expanding product line in the coming months! We're making tails wag one bead at a time!

17 comments:

Cat with a Garden said...

Thank you for donating for charity - that is amazing! It was very interesting to read how you got to open your store on Etsy. Hopefully mom will order something sometime.
Purrs, Siena & Chilli


P.S.: Do the hooks contain nickel? Appparently mom has an allergy...

Meghann said...

YAY you! Thanks for everything you do - you are an inspiration :)
Keep up the great (and beautiful!) work - can't wait to see your new stuff.

myminimocs said...

great post! - it's great to find out a little more about you & how you got started. i think it's awesome that you & your mom are working together and what a wonderful contribution you've made. totally loving the paw print earrings!

myminimocs said...

oh and i forgot to tell you there's an award waiting for you over on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! It's so cool that your mom is doing all that to help animals. If everyone would donate even just a little time or money it would help animals a LOT!

Oh, hey, we gave you ALL an awardie this morning! Come on over to our house and check it out.

jane

Roses and Lilacs said...

That is great BeadedTail. Just think of the lives your donation has made a difference in.

I need to check out Etsy for some more hand made soap. You showcased one vendor several weeks ago. I loved the soaps.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

Great carnival post. I should have said more of what you did.

Lurves U

LOL ... this is my word verification for this post: caringu

Mishkat said...

This is a great story. I remember seeing you on Etsy soon after you opened - I clicked to check out your shop because you had a photo of Isabella as your avatar (go torties!).

I feel lucky to own a couple of pairs of your earrings. This may sound corny, but your jewelry isn't just beautiful - it has really good vibes too! I have given a few of your pieces as gifts and I always tell the recipient that too.

Thanks for all you do for animals.

the magic sleigh said...

Woots to you and your Mom for being such a great supporter of animals! We only wish all felt the way we do. You two should be front page news! Keep up the wonderful work and bless you both
-Kira the BeaWootiful

storybeader said...

wow - ALL the proceeds to charity? You two are real advocates for animals! I'm so glad you found etsy!

Daisy said...

That's really awesome! And hooray for all the animals you have helped!

Unknown said...

What a WONDERFUL post, God bless you both for doing what you are doing for the animals.

I just wanted to say hello to two of my favorite people. I am up and around a little today so I wanted to say I have missed you both so much.

((HUGS))

Jodi

Memories for Life said...

Such a great story!
Selling online has so many advantages...like you and your mom selling together...in different states :) How cool!
It's so great that you have donated so much to help animals...here's to a great 2009!

KZK said...

You're WONDERFUL to donate the proceeds to animal charities!!! Thank you so much!
Your work is so wonderful; those earrings are totally adorable!

Jackie said...

Hi guys,
Well my goodness I finally made it in to say hello.

Don't ask...just know that this week has been one of those weeks!!

Love all the pretties...especially the baby running on the beach!!

Happy day,
Jackie:-)

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Khongrats and khudos for your kind akhtions!

Khontinued wishes fur grrrreat results!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

uniquecommodities said...

What a great heart~ Glad you found Etsy